Friday 26 February 2010

A wee pint and a game of darts

At the risk of building up my part, I'm now going to wait until tomorrow before telling you about the bizarre sight I stumbled across last night (not that I obviously expect you to care that much).

The reason is I have to do a little research about my subject first and haven't enough time between now and the kick-off of Wales v France in the Six Nations. And I'm certainly not doing it after the match as I intend to calm my in-game nerves with a few Guinnei (plural of Guinness and, yes, I have just made that up) and might write something I regret.

But before I go - and remaining on the subject of strong drink - I was in stitches watching the darts from Belfast on Sky last night, principally because of some of the signs being held up by the rowdy but happy locals.

Personal favourites included:
  • (Referring to Dutch legend Raymond van Barneveld) "BARNEY LOVES WEE ULSTER"

  • "FINE! YOURSELF?"

  • And the best one (which included an arrow pointing at another man standing beside the sign) "BIG SPENCE IS ON THE DLA."

Norn Iron humour at its unique best and it made me very proud.

I've since read a Belfast Telegraph report of the frivolities which revealed that, "around 35,000 pints of beer were consumed by the crowd during the raucous three-hour tournament."

Given that there were only 7,500 people in the room, that really is some kind of drinking.

And, whilst it might not reflect well on me, I now feel even prouder.

No comments:

Post a Comment