Sunday 30 September 2012

Slow coach


It's Sunday, meaning another micro rugby session for our Jamie. 

And, I have to say, he is making progress.  I'm sure I saw him running in the right direction at least once today.

However, I fear his steady advancement is at risk of being halted after a new coach joined the fold today.  Me. 

There I was, minding my own business at pitchside with all the other rugby mums and dads, when the head coach - whose name forever escapes me - called on me to assist with the "cat and mouse" game.

This should not have been a huge challenge for yours truly, as it is a drill (albeit with a different name) I took part in hundreds of times myself in my own playing days.  But could I remember how it worked?  Of course I couldn't.  Plus, having an audience of four and five year-olds and their parents watching made me very self-conscious. 

The result was that I made something of mouth of myself and the head coach spent more time guiding me than any of the actual players. 

I fear I'll not be volunteered again next week, if only to save Jamie deeper embarrassment.