Tuesday 16 October 2012

Mr Bean is an Ulsterman


The fact that I speak with an alternative lilt to Jamie was something that was bound to come up eventually.  And yesterday it did.

He was talking to Vanessa whilst I was at work and asked why I always called him “Jimmy” instead of Jamie.

“Because he’s from Northern Ireland,” was Vanessa’s response, quickly adding (accordring to her) that this simply meant I had a different accent to him rather than just being a bit thick.

This morning I raised the matter with him directly, making the point that whilst it might sound like I was calling him Jimmy, I was in fact attempting to call him Jamie.

He stared at me blankly for a couple seconds, and then said this: “Daddy, is Mr Bean also from Northern Ireland because I can’t understand a word he says either?”

I said yes but deep down I was pure gutted, so I was.