Sunday 6 July 2008

Back to the future


Well, my two weeks of paternity leave are almost up and tomorrow I'm back at my desk in Bradford City Hall.

I can scarcely believe some of the things I've seen and done, and some of the emotions I've felt over the last fortnight. It's been an incredible ride and, the best thing is, it's only just beginning.

You might be different but, for me, after I've had a couple of weeks off, I tend to go back feeling a bit morbid. The excitement of the holiday or whatever is at an end and suddenly (wrongly) I feel I've got nothing to look forward to. The contrast this time around is absolute.

In a couple of weeks' time - according to "the book" - Jamie should be smiling (I've already got some of my best jokes lined up for him). And, who knows, two weeks after that he could be doing backflips (I would guess not but I haven't read that far ahead yet).

And whether I've had a good day or bad day at work, I'll be coming home to my little boy (and wife - don't worry, she'll not be neglected).

One of the few frustrations of the last fortnight has been the lack of time to actually take in what has happened. The endless nappy-changing, running to the shops, looking after guests, clearing up and so on - coupled with sheer physical exhaustion - have left little opportunity for either Vanessa or me to truly reflect on the significance of Jamie's arrival and how lucky we are to have him.

Don't get me wrong, all of these "tasks" have been a joy. Indeed, one of the most time-consuming parts of our days since the birth has been dealing with all the cards and presents we've received from friends and family whose generosity has been genuinely overwhelming and extremely humbling.

We are amazingly fortunate to be surrounded by so many good and kind people.

But, tomorrow morning, when it comes to saying goodbye to my wife and child before rushing off to catch my train (which will no doubt be late), perhaps the process of truly understanding what has happened can really begin.

In the meantime, I think I can hear Jamie crying...marvellous!

No comments:

Post a Comment