Wednesday 23 June 2010

A classic truth

I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted after that England game.

But I've got to tell you this.

As you're more than likely aware and following the fiasco over the ridiculous claims made by some "honourable" Members in the last Parliament, the House of Commons authorities have introduced a new system for MPs and their staff to claim expenses. And, in short, it is draconian and involves them and us having to lie down, do a forward roll, a short dance and a three card trick in order to claim back as much as the price of a bus ticket bought in pursuit of official duties.

This morning I went along for my mandatory training on the new online scheme.

As one of our "practical exercises," we had to pretend to register our respective MP's car details on the system. So, alongside two ladies on my particular grouping of tables, I got on with the task in hand.

However, when the trainer came over to check how we were getting on, one of my colleagues raised a query. And here was how the conversation went.

Trainer: "How are we all getting on?"

Lady #1 and Barry: "OK."

Lady #2: "OK, although I doubt registering my Member's car is something I'll ever have to do."

Trainer: "Well, you never know."

Lady #2: "No, really. I honestly don't think it's something I'll ever have to do."

Trainer: "Why do you say that?"

Lady #2: "I work for David Blunkett."

Enjoy the rest of your night.

1 comment:

  1. This story, plus the England win made my day! Loved it Barry!

    ReplyDelete