Sunday 20 June 2010

Well, we had a good night


It's the day after the reunion the night before and I'm a mixture of emotions.

First and foremost, I'm exhausted; partly due to the excesses of a good night out, partly because of the physical trauma of what I did at lunchtime yesterday (more of that anon) and partly because of the stress associated with wanting last night to "work."

And it did, in the main.

In case you haven't been keeping up (and if not, why not?) last night was the Coleraine Inst Class of 1983 School Reunion, held this year because the majority of us left in 1990 - exactly two decades ago.

There about a dozen of us there and it was a genuine joy to be able to share time with them all, including some individuals I hadn't seen for quite a while.

The undoubted highlight of the evening was a short set by two members of The Fix, a band who hadn't played since shortly after we all left school but who proved they still have "it" after all these years. Again, I will expand on this in the coming days, once my camera lead and I have been reunited (I was sure I'd packed it).

But I would be lying if I didn't admit to be being a little disappointed at the failure of some of my former classmates to climb out of their own behinds and put an appearance in.

Some of the blame for this lies at my door. I could and should have done more to persuade people to come along. That said, how much effort do you need to make?

As was said several times last night, everyone who was there wanted to be there. Why should any of us try to force people to come against their will? And why should they relent in any case? We're all grown up now and everyone is obviously entitled to go where they want - or not, as the case may be.

But wherever some of them were and whatever it was they were doing, I hope it was rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment