Friday 30 December 2011

Pull the other one


I got in tonight to hear that Barratts Priceless are to make more than 1,600 staff redundant after a buyer for the company could not be found. 

It's horrible news at a terrible time for those affected.

However, this morning I had a hint of why the firm is where it is.

I was in Barratts in Leeds and picked up a size 10 shoe which I quite fancied.  So I tried it on, had a shuffle around and asked the nice man at the till if I could try on both together.

He disappeared off for a couple of minutes before returning, looking a touch embarrassed, with remarkable news.

"I'm afraid we only have one size 10 shoe left, sir," he said, "although we do have a pairs in size 9 and size 11."

I do hope his day didn't get worse after I thanked him and left - empty-handed.