Wednesday 21 March 2012

As the painting stops, The Apprentice starts


I can just about recall that feeling I used to get when I was in the middle of my exams and all I wanted was the end to arrive.  And, eventually, the end did arrive. (Unfortunately, shortly afterwards, so did my results).

I feel a bit like that tonight as my paint tins have been closed, my brushes have been washed and put away - and the decorating is finally at an end. 

Painting five rooms in one sweep was not my plan when I started off in what seems like the winter of 2004, but the early evening sunshine and the first smell of cut grass (not ours, I hasten to add  - give me a chance!) have brought a feeling of quiet satisfaction that everything is out of the way.

All that now remains is to sit back and watch my children cover each freshly-painted wall, door and skirting board in dirty paw prints. 

But, in truth, I don't really care.