Wednesday 2 December 2009

Jamie "Air" White


Since the retirement of Michael Jordan (left) in April 2003, basketball has been waiting for the arrival of a new global superstar.

But I think I may have found him - and he lives in Pudsey.

In recent days, Jamie has taken to practising his hook shots, alley-oops and slam dunks from the comfort of his bathroom. Well, bath.

Still a bit too small to make a full-size basketball go any real distance in the rarefied Yorkshire atmosphere, he's been using bath toys.

And rather than have a hoop as his target, he's been using something other people place their hoops on: the toilet.

I am delighted to report that, on Monday evening, he scored his first three-point shot with a rubber duck (circled in red).

And, like any sporting icon in waiting, he already knows how to celebrate. (I hope you like my fig leaf).

Sadly, he is still going to be just a little too young to make the British basketball team for the 2012 London Olympics (I think you have to be at least five). But after that, who knows?

The future certainly looks bright for Jamie "Air" White.

No comments:

Post a Comment