Friday 20 January 2012

The son, the stars and the planets


I was walking Jamie home from nursery last night and experienced a moment I am unlikely to ever forget. 

It was a dark but clear evening and the stars were beaming in the sky.  Jamie likes stars.

So, keen to help him along with his astronomical education, I pointed at the brightest light of all and attempted to get all clever.

"That's not a star, Jamie," I announced proudly.

"Yes it is," retorted White Jnr with total disdain.

"No, that's a planet," I replied.

"Ooooooooo," he cooed. "Is it Earth?"  (I told him last week that we all lived on Planet Earth).

"No, it's another planet called Venus," I explained.  "Isn't that exciting?"

"Yes, that's very exciting," said Jamie, without any obvious hint of irony.

Giving it a couple of minutes, I decided to find out if what Professor Daddy had just taught him had stuck.

"What's that bright light?" I asked, pointing skywards once again.

"It's a planet!" he declared proudly.

"And what's it called?" I enquired further. 

"Penis!"

Maybe he's still a bit too young for planets.