Wednesday 21 October 2009

Lion Man

I had the rare privilege last night of meeting one of my absolute heroes - British & Irish Lions rugby legend Ian McGeechan.

For those non-rugby fans amongst you (are there any rugby fans amongst you?) Ian McGeechan was Lions head coach during their dramatic South African tour this summer, when they eventually lost the Test series 2-1 to the home side.

But previous to that, he coached the Lions to famous series wins in South Africa in 1997 and Australia in 1989.

And before that (what do you mean, you're "bored?") he played for the Lions himself on two overseas tours - including the legendary (to people like me) 1974 tour to South Africa - and also both played for and coached Scotland. (I think it's really important that you know all this).

After every every sporting success story (or "almost" sporting success story) these days, comes the obligatory autobiography (is Jenson Button's out yet?) And last night my good friend John McIlroy and I went along to Headingley to see Ian McGeechan publicise his, the aptly titled Lion Man.

But it wasn't just a bog standard book launch. Hell no. This was much more exciting (yes, for me - and John).

The format was beer, a two-course dinner for 350 people (well, men), more beer, an hour-plus Q&A session with the man himself, followed by some more beer.

And then - get this - you had the chance to meet him and leave with a "free" (once you'd paid your £35 for a bit of overdone pork and some cheese and biscuits) personally signed copy of his book. (Yes, perhaps it was a bit like visiting Santa, but there's really no need for you to be so cynical).

There have been far too many pics of me on this site in recent days, so I took a photo of the great man meeting an equally impressed John instead.

Leaving all his achievements to one side, the thing that has always left me in awe of Ian McGeechan is the sheer class which he exudes in everything he does (WAKE UP!)

Unlike, say, Alex Ferguson, he never complains if he loses, never courts controversy and never seems ruffled. But he clearly inspires everyone around him and the results of this are evidenced on his CV (and no doubt in his book - which you really should buy. And you'll definitely get it cheaper than I did).

The souvenir I stumbled into the taxi with at around 11.30 last night is something I will genuinely cherish forever. What a man.

PS Thank you for letting me have my moment, albeit begrudgingly.

1 comment:

  1. Well Barry whilst you were with a Lions Man, i was also with a Lions man....Shaun Edwards. He was doing a coaching session down at our local Rugby Club( Yes you do have a follower who likes rugby!!!). You could have had some of Rachels home made chili and garlic bread !!!!!!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete