Friday 4 May 2012

Thought for the day


It's exactly six years ago today since I stood for election to Leeds City Council. 

Becoming a politician - if only for four very long weeks - was not a path I ever wanted to tread, as I didn't think I'd be very good at it.  And, as it turned out, there were quite a lot of people who agreed with me. 

Because despite winning the support of 2,122 lost souls, my veteran Labour Party opponent attracted the votes of 2,499 wiser Pudsey residents - so I lost. 

Phew! 

I tell you all this because, as I write, the results of local elections in England, Scotland and Wales continue to flood in. 

And as they do so, the radio phone-in programmes and social networks appear to be chock-a-block with individuals rolling out the same old cliches: "they're all the same...they're useless...politicians don't care...I hate them all...etc etc etc." 

So I just want to say this.  As in all areas of life, there are some nice politicians and some not so nice politicians.   There are some bright politicians, and some incredibly stupid ones.  And, yes, there are some politicians who appear to care more about their own careers than the lives of those they seek to represent. 

But it takes a heck of a lot of guts to put your name on a ballot paper and then ask strangers to like/trust/respect you enough to persuade them to leave their home to put a cross alongside your name. 

I have worked directly or indirectly in politics for the majority of my adult life, and it is my sincerely held view that, regardless of the party they represent, the overwhelming number of politicians I've met decide to put themselves forward because they genuinely want to do some good. 

Perhaps the armchair critics out there might wish to bear this in mind the next time they pick up the phone or their pen to denounce those who have a go.  Either that, or have a go themselves.

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. 

(And I still can't stand Gordon Brown).