Thursday 7 June 2012

Heroes of the road


I booked today and tomorrow off work, principally because I'm exhausted (if I was rich and famous, I'd probably be in The Priory).

But there are other reasons.  One is that I'm trying to progress a couple of harebrained schemes which will almost certainly come to nothing.  A second is that I want to listen to tomorrow's Senior Race in the Isle of Man TT. 

Although knowing little or nothing about the actual machinery involved, I am becoming increasingly intoxicated by motorcycle road racing.  The incredible speeds the riders reach on public thoroughfares is an obvious draw. But the fascination with the boys and girls who do it is my principal fascination. 

Let me give you the most recent example. 

Above you can see Honda TT Legends rider Simon Andrews at the North West 200 just a couple of weeks ago.  It was one of his first races back following a horrific crash last summer in which he shattered his leg.  So serious was the injury that he had to sign a form giving doctors his consent to amputate should the damage prove to be beyond repair.

But, with a heavy limp, he returned to the grid earlier this year and all was going well.  Until last Saturday's Isle of Man TT Superbike Race.

Travelling along one of the fastest parts of the course, he misjudged an approaching corner - and hit a stone wall at 142mph. 

Damage?  Two ruptured eyes balls, a broken shoulder, a broken wrist, a broken ankle (same leg as before), a dislocated shoulder and a dislocated thumb. But at least he lived to tell the tale.

And, after being released from hospital earlier today, he said he hoped to be back on his bike for an event just eight weeks from now.  
     

Now can you understand the fascination?