Tuesday 15 December 2015

It's Cwistmas time, and thewe's no need to be afwaid


There's a feeling of feverish anticipation in our house tonight.

It's the St Oswald's Primary School Carol Service tomorrow afternoon featuring a nativity performed by Reception.

And, well, of course our Charlotte has been cast as Mary.

It's a bit embarrassing really, as she filled the same role last year whilst still at nursery.  And this time she even has a line.

As you'll be aware, Mary traditionally wears something "dowdy" on account of not having had a lot of manna on her at the time (never mind being forced to sleep in a stable).  But Charlotte doesn't do dowdy so will instead be be kitted out in a spangly number Vanessa Magdalene found on eBay.

I've no idea how it's going to go, but hopefully God will provide.

Sadly, He did let me down on the two occasions I got to perform up front at the Macosquin Primary School Christmas production.

In my final year I was handed the role of "Old Winter" when it was the task of "Spring" (aka Mark Logan) to "knock me out" with boxing gloves.  Unfortunately for yours truly, Wee Logie got carried away, hit me for real and dislodged my lovingly-made cardboard beard which went flying across the stage.

But that was as nothing when compared to the year before when I was in the P6 choir and chosen to perform a solo.

The carol was "The Holly Tree" and I had two lines to sing on my own:

"But my sweetheart loves to rest
"Beneath the shining holly."

Doesn't seem too hard does it?  Well, it wouldn't be if you happen to be a 9-year-old who can actually say/sing his Ls and Rs.  Sadly at that time I wasn't in that particular category.

So I managed:

"But my sweethaat woves to west
"Beneath the shining hawwy."

Honestly, I can still feel the sweat running down my back as I belted it out.  

Hopefully Charlotte will leave with happier recollections tomorrow.