Tuesday 13 August 2019

Any F in Food?

Good afternoon from Devon where the White family road trip has now dropped anchor.

We’re on Woolacombe beach which used to be the best in the country, but isn’t any longer.



Still, it’ll do for us.



Jamie has just completed an extended bodyboarding session, during which I watched on dutifully in case he required fatherly assistance.



Not that I would’ve been much help. 

I’m not really a fan of cold water, just one reason why I never applied to be a lifeguard despite growing up on the Causeway Coast.  That and the fact that someone told me the doggy paddle was unlikely to get me through the exams.  So I spent six summers picking Belfast people’s litter off the Portrush beaches instead.

As you can see, today’s weather here is bright but not especially warm.

That is still a major step up from last night when we went for a drink in the freezing cold before the rain forced us back inside.



I brought shorts so I’m wearing shorts, that’s the deal.

One positive aspect of a staycation should surely be that the language barrier is removed. But last night the barman appeared never to have met a customer from Coleraine.

Despite the late hour, we thought it would be nice to order the kids some desserts whilst we waited for the monsoon to pass. 

“Are you still serving food” I asked.

“Sorry?” the barman replied. Not sure why, I wasn’t aware he’d done anything wrong. 

“Are you still serving food?” I persevered.

“No, I’ve not heard of that.”

Several thoughts ran through my head, some of which would not have reflected well on me nor, indeed, future Coleraine visitors.

So I decided to knock together a quick cocktail of chippiness with a hint of sarcasm and a large shot of disdain.

“YOU’VE NOT HEARD OF FOOD?!”

“Oh, food! Yes.”

F****r. 

I’ve haven’t yet come up with tonight’s teaser but I’m thinking it might have something to do with evolution.

A prolonged thunderstorm is due with us tomorrow, so I expect to have even more time in the bar to quiz my new best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment