Thursday 29 May 2008

In need of speed


Just back from a wee run.

I'm not the greatest distance athlete in the world but it keeps me as fit as I need to be - and it's cheaper than the gym (which I hate).

I think it'll also be good practice to get out for a half hour trot some mornings in the first few days and weeks after the birth to clear my head. And to escape the smell.

But tomorrow there will be no running as TT Superbikes Real Road Racing Championship comes out on the PlayStation 2! Yes, I can tell you're excited too.

I don't turn on my PS2 very often any more but it's not every day I get to ride around the streets of Coleraine, Portrush and Portstewart - the same streets I spent six summers of my school and student life sweeping - on a pretend motorbike.

Vrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooommmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

In case you know nothing of it, I'm talking about the North West 200 circuit which is brilliantly re-produced for the purposes of this game. And if you don't believe me, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mglycsjj1l0&feature=related

I was back home for the real races just a couple of weeks ago and had a wonderful day, a large part of it in the company of my super little nephew Sebastian. Unfortunately I was much more excited about the whole thing than he was, which might explain why he went home early and I stayed on. (Look, I bought him a horn and a hat so he was very happy to do so, alright?!)

Were Sebastian with me tomorrow, I'm pretty sure he'd be equally less thrilled than me to be whizzing down past Cromore Halt towards the Ballysally Roundabout and then back up towards the Metropole on a pretend motorbike. Honestly - he prefers killing pretend monsters.

Now then, I'm sure I've got a pretend police motorbike helmet somewhere. (You think I'm joking?!)

All good fatherly preparation in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment