Wednesday 21 May 2008

This might be fun


In exactly five weeks' time, I am due to become a father for the first time. This, my friends, appears to be a scary prospect for some individuals.

True, many people I know and respect have said I'll make a good daddy. Such comments are most welcome.

Others, meanwhile, have refrained from comment at all. Yes, they've smiled. But whilst their mouths have shown teeth, their eyes have shown fear.

The one thing almost everyone has said is, "and how's Vanessa?" This is an extremely kind and thoughtful sentiment.

Vanessa, for those who don't know us, is my wife. My almost eight months pregnant wife. And, yes, she'll undoubtedly have a part to play on the big day too. Likewise in the years ahead.

However, Vanessa's much wiser than me and will undoubtedly cope with whatever's thrown at her. That's certainly been the case thus far.

I'm more concerned about what she, and nature, will throw at me - literally - if and when I get things wrong.

Having a baby is obviously a very serious business. But surely it must also be fun. I intend to put that thought to the test.

Whatever does happen over the next few months, you can read about it here. And hopefully, one day, our baby will take the time to read it too.

Do please come along for the ride - hints and tips will always be very well received. Probably.

1 comment:

  1. White stuff? How very appropriate.

    Along with the brown stuff (it eventually settles on brown after going through the mustard - green spectrum), the white stuff will come to dominate your life.

    No longer will you be able to wear black. You can wear it, that's not the problem, but it will remain that colour for a matter of minutes before being smeared with white sick - maybe if you are lucky just white snot.

    Only this morning I had to re-iron my shirt after a particularly affectionate smear.

    Anyway, you'll both be great parents I'm sure.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete