Thursday 27 May 2010

In memory of Ian


It was sadly ironic, in the week when I've agreed to throw myself back into the weird but wonderful world of Westminster politics once again, that I learnt that my old friend and mentor Ian Todd had been buried earlier today in Ballyclare.

Ian was the rock upon which former East Antrim MP Roy Beggs' constituency office was built, the place where I had my taste of Parliamentary "stuff" in August 1996.

I remember arriving for my first day, thinking I was the new Peter Mandelson. I was going to be great, I was going to change the world, people were going to know about me.

But in advance of all of that, Ian made very clear, I was going to clear out the cupboards. It was a stroke of genius which brought me back down to earth with a thud before I even had the chance to taxi to the runway.

And then there was the piece of advice which he gave me fairly early on and which I've passed on to countless colleagues since, particularly those in their more formative working years.

Here was how the conversation went:

"What is this, son?" asked Ian, holding up a piece of paper.

"It's a piece of paper, Ian."

"Well done son, good start. Now, what happens when I put it on your desk?" came his next poser, as he placed the blank piece of paper on my desk.

"I don't know," I replied.

"Something!" he boomed. "In fact, anything! Put it in the bin, throw it out the window or, better still, post it to some other bugger, but do something with it because it has no place on your desk!"

It was simple but it was also inspired, and I've tried to follow this rule ever since. (Thankfully, only a small percentage of said pieces of paper have been deposited out the window, but still a percentage nonetheless).

Ian, a retired policeman who could best be described as having the look of a retired policeman, wasn't so well in recent years, during which he also tragically lost his equally charming and "clued-up" wife Maureen.

But, whilst I haven't seen him for some time, I'll still miss him greatly.

And his wisdom will certainly live on because much of what he taught me will be passed on to my new colleagues in my new MP's office in the weeks, months and years ahead.

Ian, you were a true gentleman and I'll always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment