Thursday 6 May 2010

Surviving General Election Night

Tonight is General Election Night (you may have noticed) and, for political saddos like me, getting through it requires some serious preparation.

Or to be more precise, it requires an election night survival kit. Thankfully, mine has now been sorted and you can see it above.

It consists of:
  • 1 box of southern fried chicken
  • 1 bag of frozen chips
  • 1 jar of coffee (strong)
  • 1 bag of sugar
  • 1 box of French Fancies (lemon)
  • 2 packets of chocolate biscuits (1 milk 1 plain)
  • 1 family-sized tub of ice cream (vanilla)
  • 1 large bag of BBQ spare rib crackers
  • 1 box of cereal bars ("the healthy option")
  • 1 bottle of Bushmills Malt (for use in the event of Rodney winning or Ed Balls losing)

Hopefully I'll have just about enough of everything to see me through.

Aside from putting together my election night survival kit, I have already observed one other tradition which is now into its sixth year (including local and European elections) since moving to Pudsey.

I speak of my chat with a particular blonde-haired, middle-aged polling clerk.

And here is how it went earlier (in the exact same, word-for-word way it's gone since 2005).

Polling clerk: "Name?"

Me: "Barry White."

Polling clerk: "Are you the famous Barry White?"

Me: "No."

Polling clerk: "Do I ask you that every year?"

Me: "Yes."

I hope you enjoy your General Election Night 2010 as much as I hope to enjoy mine.

4 comments:

  1. Barry,


    youve forgotten the vital thing.......... a box of matches.....to prop ones eyelids open!!!!! Rach xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get through all that lot you'll never get through the door in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So i take it you'll be having champagne for breakfast...blue for pudsey!!!! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just had the worst back spasm and currently cant't move. I put this down to an adverse reaction to my old ward going blue. I saw the pudsey count in brisbane. I'd say I'm chufged for you, but i'm not.

    ReplyDelete