Sunday 1 April 2018

The luck of the draw

It was my birthday yesterday which included a fun meal with the family and my mum who has been staying for the past few days.   

BloggerImage

To be fair, my head was been in a spin after a bizarre turn of events on Good Friday.

My pal Rob was sponsoring Guiseley AFC's home game that afternoon so invited a few of his mates to join him in the executive portacabin for some corporate hospitality.  It was a great day's entertainment, made all the more memorable by what happened when they drew the half-time raffle.       


I hadn't even bought a ticket of my own, after one of our party generously purchased eight strips and passed them around the table.  And I won.  

But here's the thing.  I didn't walk away with a bottle of champagne or a box of chocolates. Hell no. Instead I was handed the opportunity to be Guiseley team manager for the whole of next season.  It's mad.

Sadly, the club is on the brink of relegation from the National League and will almost certainly be playing in National League North next year.  As such, the club's owner wants to try something a little different by handling responsibility for team affairs to a fan for the next 12 months.  I take up the reins after Guiseley's final game of this season on Saturday 28 April.  

It's an unpaid position, which is fair enough.  However, I get to sign players and choose my own backroom staff.  Fully aware that I might not be ideally qualified for the job, I've already asked the current caretaker manager, Sean St Ledger, to stay on as my assistant.  (Happily for him, he will get paid).  

Rob, who is a die hard Guiseley fan and knows a think or two about the game, will be first team coach.  Ironically, as the owner of an HGV licence, he has also agreed to drive the first team coach to away games.  

My third and final appointment for now is Dr Andrew Parsons (pictured above standing furthest from the camera in the yellow shirt) who will become club physician.     

To keep it in the family, Jamie will be team mascot for the first home game and no doubt Charlotte will have a go later in the season.  

BloggerImage

My only other request is that we go to Northern Ireland for a pre-season tour in July including a game with my beloved Coleraine FC, depending on the Bannsiders' European commitments. 

I told you it was bizarre.  But hopefully I can have some fun along the way and, most importantly, the club as a whole will have a year to remember. 

Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment