Monday 15 August 2011

Have you ever wished you'd never started something?


You may or may not be old enough to remember Petrocelli.

If you weren't, I should explain that Petrocelli was an American TV drama series about a lawyer who lived in a caravan whilst attempting to single-handedly build his dream home in his spare time. However, the house never seemed to make any tangible progress.

Each week our hero would lay a few bricks. But his house would never get any bigger.

There were two full series of Petrocelli but, by the end of the second season, the house was no further on that it was in series one, episode one.

Which brings me to our living room which, you may have noticed from the picture taken this morning, is not quite finished.

Do you know, I spent seven hours up a ladder with a paint brush yesterday?

And I spent six hours up that ladder on Saturday, and something fairly similar the day before that. 

I actually began my journey of self-discovery last Tuesday morning, although it could have been several months ago, such is the damaging impact it has had on my grasp of time.

Do you want to know the fun part?

When the painting is finished - I'm now thinking Thursday - I've got to start wallpapering (we're doing half and half, see). 

Do you want to know the really fun part?

I've never properly wallpapered before.

Do you want to know the really, really, really fun part?

I've got to get the whole thing completed by Saturday evening in time for some special guests arriving the following day.   

The problem is, by the time the room is finally finished, I'm going to hate it so much that I'm not going to want to go in there to join them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment