Thursday 1 October 2015

Meet Councillor Jamie White

Jamie's been elected to his school council.

As someone who's been involved in politics for almost 20 years, I doubted his wisdom when he came home last week and announced his intention to stand.  It's a rough old business and, as a 7-year-old, I thought he might be better off chasing a football as opposed to chasing votes.

But the boy was not for turning.

So, on Monday evening, we worked on his hustings speech.


This is what he said:

"I am friendly with everyone in my class and would work very hard for them.

"I am confident when speaking in public.

"I like my new school and want to make it even better.

"Please vote for Jamie White!"

And his classmates did, placing him top of the poll.

He headed off for his first meeting this morning, already armed with a big idea.

And he gets free biscuits.

Thankfully his newly-acquired power and status haven't gone to his head.


I'd give it about a week.