Tuesday 4 October 2011

Ulster Fry?


Waking up to the age-old tradition of an Ulster Fry - or a "heart attack on a plate" - is something that remains special to many of my diaspora.
And when the opportunity arises, it's nice to share the experience (if not your sausage) with others.

So, this morning, I sat down with more than 100 Ulstermen and women, British and Irish dignitaries, do-gooders, former do-badders and a smattering of plastic paddies for the annual Conservative Party Conference Ulster Fry.

Unlike last year, Martin McGuinness wasn't present, making it easier for me to swallow.

But his Sinn Fein colleague Conor Murphy did make it along, giving me an incredible urge to want to spit.

For the record and because the media were present, it was a temptation I bravely managed to resist.