Wednesday 18 January 2012

My life's going down the toilet

I was listening to Radio 5 Live this morning and heard the female presenter lament about the fact that her partner will turn 40 in a few days' time. 

"I can't believe I'm going to be going out with a 40-year-old bloke," she spat.  "I might only be a couple of years younger, but still. He's going to be 40 - UGH!"

Now, I am due to reach the big 4-0 in a couple of months.  And Vanessa, like our friend on 5 Live, is a couple of years younger than me.  

Am I really going to become a figure who disgusts people (including her) simply for still being alive? 

It is possible if truth be told. 

I remember the days when coming home to a new computer game or a cassette tape through the post got me hugely excited. 

But, on Monday, I can barely describe my sense of elation when I arrived back to find this perched on our toilet. 


Yes VELVET!  16 ROLLS of Velvet!  Does it get any better? I say not (other than Kleenex). 

So I'm almost 40, I'm proud to be so and, yes, I am disgusting.