Saturday 18 February 2012

A bread and butter argument


It was a conversation that had to happen given the Anglo-Ulster nature of Jamie's parentage, and today it did.

Scone or scone?

Coming from God's Own Country (i.e. Northern Ireland, not Yorkshire which is not a country), I KNOW that this traditional and wholly enjoyable bread-based snack (best made on my side of the Irish Sea) is pronounced "skawn."

But Vanessa, emanating from the land of HM The Queen, Selina Scott and Barbara Woodhouse, (wrongly) believes this joyous bite to be a "skooooooone."

It's not.

Mummy v Daddy skawn-skooooooone ping-pong resulted in a confused and troubled Jamie, unsure where his loyalties should lie.  And the battle continues, because neither his mother not I are prepared to give in.

But I shall be victorious, be sure of that.  Because I am right.