Wednesday 22 February 2012

A wee day at the movies (and some Doctor Who)


An odd day dominated by mental flashes of Doctor Who, Ghost (the film with Demi Moore as opposed to Casper) and The Terminator.

I've never changed mobile phone networks before so today was my first experience of "porting."

For the uninitiated, "porting" is the process by which your mobile number is physically transferred from your old network to your new one.

In preparation for this, I had two conversations with O2 yesterday to tell me what would happen followed by a text shortly before bedtime.

And, first thing this morning, I had another text saying that the process would begin within hours.

At this stage both phones were fully operational, but my old companion of the last two years was clearly about to depart - a bit like Patrick Swayze in Ghost.


All morning I kept an eye on it, waiting for the inevitable to happen.  A daylight vigil, if you will.

But ironically, when the end did come, it was unexpected.  In fact, I was standing at a urinal having a wee with a phone in each pocket.

First, my right pocket, containing my new phone, began to vibrate (somewhat disconcerting when you're a boy in active wee mode). Then it beeped a couple of times.

All I could think of was Doctor Who regenerating - from David Tennant into Matt Smith, to be entirely accurate (again, a new experience for me when having a wee).


Two minutes later, all delicate parts of me safely tucked away, my old phone made a dull sound - and a message appeared on its battered screen to advise that its SIM card had been deactivated.  Almost reminiscent of that moment at the end of Terminator 2 when Arnie lowered himself into a tank of molten metal.  I could have sworn it tried to give me a thumbs up, but obviously couldn't because mobile phones don't have thumbs.   


So anyway, that was my day.