Thursday 26 April 2012

I knew there was something


I tried to be a hero tonight.  But I made a fatal error.

Leeds train station was flooded, stranding Vanessa and leaving me to collect the kids from nursery, supper them up and bundle them off to bed.

But, foolishly, I decided to be ambitious; I would also give them a bath. 

To be fair, they have a bath most nights.  The difference is that both Vanessa and I are normally here, allowing each of us to be nominated a single sprog.  It gets more difficult when you have two (a very good reason why Vanessa and I will never have three, if you follow).

So, I got them home, stripped them down, put them in, found their night attire and prepared their rooms.

However, just as their curtains were being pulled and their bedside lights switched on, Charlotte took umbrage.  She normally enjoys her bath, but tonight she was having none of it (probably because her mummy wasn't there).  So I dragged her out.

A couple of minutes later, as I was getting Charlotte dressed, Jamie arrived in her room (he can get himself out of the tub now).  And, once his sister was ready, I got him sorted too.

It was only about 20 minutes later, when both were downstairs having their milk, that I realised I had neglected a vital element of the bathing process.

I had forgotten to actually wash them.

Vanessa will be back in charge tomorrow.