Tuesday 15 January 2013

OMG


"Oh my God!" was Jamie's response this evening when I showed him a picture of a Scooby Doo monster he hadn't seen before.

"You can't say that!"  I replied with genuine alarm to my son (4).  "Where did you learn that?!"

"At school," he said. "Lots of people say that at school."  

"Well you don't say it!" I fired back.

Jamie's unfortunate outburst came in the wake of a not dissimilar incident last week when, after finding a previously undiscovered label inside his school jumper, he shrieked:  "What the hell is that?!"

Again, I launched an immediate protest/enquiry which soon revealed that he'd heard this particular unwanted phrase on Doctor Who.  Again, something of a relief to me.

I say this because, since becoming a dad, I have tried incredibly hard not to swear in front of the kids - and generally succeeding.  (Believe me, I make up for it when they're not around).

But my own father was not so discreet, as a famous (in our family) episode involving my eldest sister proved.

Jacquie was very young and learning to talk.  And my mum, who has always been a whizz with a needle and thread, shoved her into a new homecrafted dress.  It may (or may not) have looked like the one Charlotte wore on Christmas Day.


Jacquie was then placed in front of a mirror and asked for her opinion of her new garment.

"It's f***ing lovely," she replied.  

I'm sure it was.