Thursday 30 July 2015

Feast of Fests: Part I


As the excitement surrounding the Big Marquee Weekend continues to surge (tickets going very fast), we Whites are preparing to cross the Pennines for another three-day music festival to get us in the mood.

It's CarFest North which, after two-and-a-half hours of trying back in November, I managed to bag family tickets for.

Fans of Chris Evans' Radio 2 breakfast show will know immediately what I'm talking about.

And if you're not a Chris Evans lover, you'll be relieved you're not going as it's being hosted by Chris Evans.

Taking place at Oulton Park racing circuit in deepest, leafy Cheshire, the event features cars (not that arsed), lots of things for kiddies (our kids are arsed) and a pretty impressive live music line-up across two stages.

The Boomtown Rats will be there to sing all two of their hits, plus Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott, The Proclaimers, Primal Scream, Level 42, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Midge Ure and Texas, amongst others. For example, when the going gets tough after we're forced to listen to Will Young, Billy Ocean is due to be wheeled on.  Suddenly.    

Crucially, given how much I generally hate camping, our tent is already pitched and comes complete with blow-up mattresses (hopefully already blown up).

But none of this starts until tomorrow.  Before then, we're due to spend tonight in the abode of my old school chum Peter 'Happy' Wilson (pictured), his wife Michaela and charmer of a son Dylan.   Pete kindly phoned me the other day to ask if I still liked a Guinness.  I said I did, along with regular
intakes of oxygen and an occasional wash.  

My thoughts on CarFest North will most likely appear here on Monday together with accompanying photographs. I'm not sure what of yet, but expect Sophie Ellis Bextor to feature in addition to Bob Geldof and a shoe-horned reference to me not liking Mondays.  I'll not tell you why.