Wednesday 27 July 2011

A date with destiny


Unless you live somewhere other than Planet Earth (or maybe Lisburn),  you'll probably be aware that the London Olympic Games get underway exactly a year from today.  And I can't wait. 

I mentioned here a few weeks ago that I had managed to secure tickets for a big event, but I wasn't sure what it was.

I have since been informed it is for a session of the rowing finals.  But here's the thing. 

The highlight of the morning in question will be Coleraine's Alan Campbell (hopefully) going for gold in the men's single sculls final. 

Here's what the BBC website said about him and it yesterday:

Campbell is hoping it will be a case of third time lucky.

He previously competed at the Olympics in Sydney in 2004 in the quadruple sculls, finishing twelfth.

He then went solo for gold at the 2008 Beijing Games.

He competed in the mens' 2,000m individual scull in China and was leading the field in the final for the first half of the race, only to be overhauled by the field and finish in fifth place.

It was a remarkable performance because he had picked up a virus the summer prior to the games and, after knee surgery, had been on crutches just a matter of weeks before competing.

He is determined to get it right in London next year. "It's looming on the horizon very quickly and when I think back to Beijing, it wasn't that long ago," he said.

"Everything we are doing now is in preparation and I'd give up any number of World Cup wins and this year's world championships just to make sure I could get on the start-line at London 2012.

"It is the absolute pinnacle - there is nothing close to it at all. I'll make every effort to make sure I go the quickest I can on 3 August next year - and that is pretty much my last thought when I go to sleep and the first when I wake up."

And you wonder why I'm excited?!

No comments:

Post a Comment