Thursday 8 December 2011

A false start to the party season


I was working in London for the past couple of days, hence no updates here.  And last night I was due to attend the annual Irish Embassy Press Party.

I've been to the Irish Embassy several times before but, before setting off there yesterday, thought it best to re-check its location on Streetmap.  I found that it was pretty much right beside Marble Arch Tube station.  Easy.  So I arranged to hook up with an old friend before going on to the main event. 

I spent longer with my friend than I had intended, meaning I got to Marble Arch with only 45 minutes of the two hour party remaining. 

But there was no sign of the Irish Embassy.  So I did what I do when I'm lost; I walked around in circles - and got more lost.

25 minutes later and with a mere 20 minutes of the party left to go, I asked a doorman outside a posh hotel if he knew where it was. 

He had no idea, but helpfully pulled out a handheld thingy to look it up on Streetmap.  And there it was, right beside the Tube station.

Hyde Park Corner Tube station, not Marble Arch Tube station.

Oh.

"It will only take you 20 minutes to walk there sir," he said. 

I decided against it.