Wednesday 19 September 2012

My day

I worked at home today as Jamie had the shits and had to be kept off school.

Between the hours of 9am and 5pm, I had five non-work-related contacts with the outside world, as follows (in chronological order):

  1. A call from some firm offering to insulate our walls and loft for free. A contractor is now coming to waste more of our time at 10am on Saturday, before inevitably leaving empty-handed having done no work.     
  2. A call from a BT bint asking if we wanted to upgrade our account.  I said no.  After a brief pause, she said she wasn't surprised as it sounded like we had a bug on our line and suggested that I phone someone else from BT to get it fixed.  She didn't say who.
  3. A call from an Indian gentleman claiming to be calling "on behalf of the Internet." I queried this. He changed his story, and claimed he was calling "on behalf of broadband."  I queried this.  He changed his story, and claimed he was calling "on behalf of BT." I queried his parentage. He hung up.
  4. A knock on the door from someone offering to insulate our walls and loft for free. I told him about the earlier phone call and appointment on Saturday morning.  He asked for more information. I asked him to go away.  He went away. 
  5. Details as at paragraph 4 - but the part of the man salesman was played by a woman salesman.
Jamie's shits appear to have ceased.

I'm looking forward to getting out of the house tomorrow.