Wednesday 17 June 2009

Bits and passes

I genuinely do hate to go on about this, but the scene above is what greeted me when I headed out the front door this morning. The building on the left is our house.

I had a word with one of the two new cowboys who turned with this particularly unsubtle piece of machinery.

"Do you have the right permissions to be doing this?" asked me.

"I would imagine so," replied he, not entirely convincingly.

"And when do you expect to finish the job?" (Me again).

"Don't know, mate." (Him) "Maybe today, maybe tomorrow."

Well, I mean, what's the point in being precise when you've got the run of the place? Needless to say it wasn't today, so yet another tale of the unexpected will now unfold outside our house from daybreak.

I have passed news on the latest developments together with a demand for action to Cllr Andrew Carter who hasn't yet come back to me. He's either on the case or, well, let's just hope he is.

The big thing I mentioned in my last blog that I was doing today was my driving theory test (you almost got there Malcolm) which I'm pleased to say I passed. For the third time. So, once again, I am able to proudly proclaim that I CAN drive (in theory). Indeed, this pass is particularly ironic given that I've failed my practical test the same number of times.

To explain, the theory certificate is only valid for two years and I kind of lost momentum, heart, call it what you will at various stages after passes one and two, hence the need to do it again. But, with Jamie now amongst us, I have decided to really stick at it now and finish the job.

I'd be an awful dad if I couldn't take him to football, or rugby, or the cinema or whatever in the car and had to depend on either public transport or someone else on each and every occasion. So I'm going to do it - mark my words - and I'm going to do it for my boy! (Eventually. 10th time lucky?)

And finally, talking of his nibs, I'm told he had fun at today's teddy bears' picnic - he was certainly looking forward to it beforehand.

One surprise piece of news was that he didn't finish his teddy bear biscuit. But the chicken roast dinner complete with Yorkshire pudding, sandwiches, Weetabix, tomatoes, cucumber, yogurt and milk might have had something to do with that.

Sadly the bad weather meant that the event had to be held indoors, but hopefully there will be other opportunities at other times in our promised barbecue summer for him to dine alfresco.

As well as completing a teddy bear painting (which is currently being mounted back at the nursery), Jamie also had his first try at baking. I'm not sure what he was tasked with rustling up, but I'm informed the biggest challenge was keeping the wooden spoon out of his mouth. It just doesn't sound like him at all.

3 comments:

  1. Well done Barry. Keep up the momentum. In no time at all we could have Stanningley's answer to Jason Button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! for Jason read Jenson!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPS Some day you may need to call upon the services of your car insurance agent. Here are some excellent excuses for why it is not your fault.....


    I collided with a stationary tramcar coming in the opposite direction.

    To avoid a collision I ran into the other car.

    The accident was due to an invisible lorry narrowly missing me.

    The other man altered his mind and I had to run over him.

    A bull was standing nearby and a fly must have tickled him because he gored my car.

    A cow wandered into my car. I was afterwards informed that the cow was half witted.

    Coming home I turned into the wrong drive and collided with a tree I haven’t got.

    I would consider neither vehicle was to blame, but if either was to blame it was the other one.

    The bloke was all over the road. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him.

    An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my car and vanished.

    The accident was caused by me waving to a man I hit last week.

    ReplyDelete