Sunday 21 June 2009

Reasons to be cheerful

Despite my optimism of just a couple days ago, sadly,the best laid plans don't always work out.

Last night was great. A typically terrific meal at East on Richardshaw Lane, Pudsey and then off to Joseph And His Lovely Big Coat which was very impressive (particularly the blonde-haired co-star - who could sing too). The picture above was taken outside the theatre.

But the highlight of today was supposed to be "Family Day" at Pontefract races.

My mum, Derek, Vanessa, Jamie and I headed off at 12.30 on the dot for the 29 minute journey (according to the AA) to the course. We got to Junction 32 of the M62 (the one for Pontefract races, coincidentally enough) within 25 minutes and had just two miles left to go. We were well on track. One hour later, we had moved precisely 400 metres more. And five minutes later, we were on our way back to Leeds - giving it up as a bad job.

We did the right thing, but it wasn't how things were meant to be. Jamie was very good and didn't complain once. But I was particularly disappointed for Derek who likes the horses and doesn't get to see them very often. He didn't complain once either but I was gutted for him.

The spare time gave me the opportunity to cause damage, and I didn't waste it. Indeed, what happened next is destined to stay with me for life. The picture on the right is what remains of our cherry blossom tree which I decided to "prune" (and I don't mind if you laugh, which is just as well).

I really am the most handless, clueless, impractical and - very often - useless human creation this side of Christendom. And, this afternoon, I proved it once again by killing our tree.

I mentioned a week or two ago that we'd had our lleyandii (I didn't know they were called that then, but I've since asked) cut back in order to 1. pacify our neighbours and 2. get more sun in our garden. However, upon further examination, we decided our cherry tree was also apparently blocking the sun out and needed to be "pruned."

Having a few spare minutes on my hands today, I decided to to do just that as a surprise for Vanessa. And, boy, did she get a surprise. What we're left with is a stump.

She's been very good about it. But I feel awful, I feel sad that I've destroyed someone else's good deed of many years hence and, what's worse, I feel a fool. And, to compound matters, when we came home from a quick trip to the pub after teatime, there was no more sun in our garden than there was before I became a tree vandal. (As I say, laughter is permitted).

It's at a time like this when you can get a little depressed. Or, you can take an alternative view and think about the positives.

And today, there was one very obvious and gleaming positive: today was my first Father's Day in my new role. I think Vanessa might've had a hand, but Jamie got me a lovely card, a "Top Dad" mug and a "Me and my Daddy" lift-the-flap fun book. And not only all of that.

He also made me card at nursery - featuring his own hand prints - and gave me a special biscuit wrapped up in plastic.

Today has been a day for perspective and, once again, my little boy has provided it.

No comments:

Post a Comment