Friday 5 June 2009

Brown stuff and Barlow


I'm writing this stupidly early this morning and it's not all Jamie's fault. Indeed, I've barely slept all night.

The reason? Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell's resignation from Government late yesterday in protest at Gordon Brown's continuing Prime Ministership. How sad am I?! (Please don't answer).

And I have form. I remember the day Margaret Thatcher resigned 19 years ago, when I was a first year student in Newcastle. After experiencing a personal power cut in my room, I spent about 12 hours carrying my portable TV around the halls of residence trying to find free power points to plug into as the drama unfolded. I lost count of the number of times I was moved on from corridors and kitchens and called less than supportive names by "friends." Boo to them all.

Regular readers will know I don't care much for Gordon Brown and won't be surprised to learn that I desperately hope he suffers the same fate as Thatcher over the next few days. I might even make my own protest against him by resigning my Boot's Advantage card or my membership of Pudsey Leisure Centre in an attempt to force his hand. Or I might not - I've got 187 Advantage Points at the moment, which aren't to be sniffed at.

But there's something else going on in my world today which, on top of what I've just told you, could lead observers to conclude that I'm the saddest person they know.

For, guess where Wee John, Vicky, Vanessa and me are heading off to later today? Answer - Sunderland.

And why are we going there? The first night of Take That's world tour. Oh yes. Full review tomorrow.

1035 UPDATE: Wee John has just pulled out for reasons one can only speculate on. His place is being taken by Vanessa's incredibly excited sister Hannah who is due to give birth next week. But it could now be tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment