Friday 26 June 2009

It's the end for Jacko - as Granny flies back(o)

The picture above was taken seven years ago at the House of Commons - just seconds before I almost literally walked straight into Michael Jackson who, unless you live on the Moon or Hull, you will obviously know died yesterday.

To cut a long story short, he was touring the building with then Labour MP Paul Boateng (right), bonkers attention-seeker David Blaine (centre) and equally bonkers attention seeker Uri Geller (who I think you can see behind Boateng).

I was walking down a flight of steps to the Terrace Cafeteria to buy a coffee and couldn't decide whether I wanted either Maltesers or Minstrels to accompany it. As I studied my moving feet whilst making my decision, I was suddenly aware of someone speeding up the stairs towards me and just inches away. I immediately stopped dead in my tracks and lifted my head to apologise for not looking where I was going.

I got as far as the "sor" of "sorry" when I realised I was looking into the eyes of Michael Jackson. A split second later, he was past me with his entourage of celebs and hangers-on trotting along behind.

Clearly, news of his death is sad although I cannot help but think that this weekend's Sunday papers are likely to take a rather less rosy view of his life than the rolling news channels have been all day today.

Did he fiddle? Almost certainly and that, to my mind, cannot be forgotten despite the huge amount of talent he undoubtedly had as a performer.

Back on Planet Pudsey, Jamie's Granny White and Grandad Derek should now be close to home in Portstewart after seven days of intense spoiling of our boy - bless them. They've been great company for him and I know he's really enjoyed having them around.

Last night, whilst having dinner, my Mum gave me a print out of a poem entitled, "Children Learn What They Live." It was written in the 1950s, has since been translated into 35 different languages and contains plenty for parents to think about. Ironically, and, judging by much of what I've heard about Michael Jackson's childhood over the past few hours, perhaps there's even more truth in there than I realised when I read it for the first time last night - before news of his death was announced. Make your own mind up:

“If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn…
“If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight…
“If a child lives with fear, he learns to be apprehensive…
“If a child lives with pity, he learns to feel sorry for himself…
“If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy…
“If a child lives with jealousy, he learns to feel guilt.
“But…
"If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient…
“If a child lives with encouragement, he learns to be confident…
“If a child lives with praise, he learns to be appreciative…
“If a child lives with acceptance, he learns to love…
“If a child lives with honesty, he learns what truth is…
“If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice…
“If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith in himself and those about him…
“If a child lives with friendliness, he learns the world is a nice place in which to live.
“With what is your child living?”

Thanks Mum - and see you in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment