Sunday 28 June 2009

Moose Face and Big Head

A bit of a lazy day today - arguably something of a waste - as I sought to get my life back on track after the Lions' crushing loss to the Springboks yesterday. What a game but what a terrible end.

I began the process of cheering myself up shortly after I arrived home by giving Jamie his first taste of chocolate moose. Despite what the picture might suggest, he did manage to get some in his mouth and will undoubtedly welcome a further helping at some near point in the future.

I was then planning to go to Headingley this afternoon to watch Yorkshire's final game in the Twenty20 Cup - but didn't. The rumour was that Michael Vaughan would be making his farewell appearance as a player before retirement. (After his omission from England's Ashes squad, he has - quite literally - decided to take his bat home). But at lunchtime it was announced that he wouldn't be playing after all so, if he couldn't be bothered, then neither could I.

I have mixed views about Vaughan. He was certainly one of England's greatest ever captains and deserved the adulation he received four years ago when leading his team to triumph over the Aussies. However, since then, my view of him his diminished almost as quickly as his own view of himself has seemed to increase.

Perhaps I'm being unfair - and I probably am - but the sight of him sometimes makes me think of the classic put down to that corny old David Brent-style line, "there's no 'i' in team."

Namely: "Yes, but there is a 'me.'"

Anyway, happy retirement and continued money-making to "Sir" Michael (as David Cameron will surely make him - if Gordon Brown doesn't think of it first).

No comments:

Post a Comment