Saturday 27 June 2009

Pre-match preparations


I've never been a great one for watching live sport in pubs.

My reasoning is very simple (and a bit middle-aged). If it's a game I really want to see then, by definition, I really want to see it. But, very often when I go to a pub for the occasion, I can't get a seat or a clear view of the telly and, when one team scores, I tend to get showered in beer (which is even more irritating if it's not my team who's celebrating).

However, today, I've decided to make an exception.

It's the Second Test between South Africa and the touring British and Irish Lions and, after losing last week, it's a must win game for the men in red.

Like most Lions fans, I was gutted by what happened last Saturday and have been counting the days and now the hours until 2pm when Paul O'Connell's team can hopefully put the record straight.

But given that I don't do pub sport very often, I've had to think through my own pre-match preparations. That said, I'm confident that the right decisions have been made.

My partner for the afternoon is my good friend John McIlroy, originally from Belfast but now a resident of Horsforth. John is terrific company, likes his beer and understands his rugby. And the importance of the last point cannot be overstated.

To illustrate, I remember when living in London, going along to a pub to watch Ireland play the All Blacks. With me were Vanessa and a Kiwi couple who we were very friendly with. Now, I wouldn't normally have Vanessa with me on such occasions - not that she would normally wish to come. But my calculation was that she could speak to female Kiwi about EastEnders and blouses whilst I could talk to male Kiwi about the game. What I didn't realise until just before the first whistle was that he must've been the only New Zealand gentleman on the planet not to like rugby.

I tried to make the best of the situation but if I tell you that, with 15 minutes to go, Ireland trailing by less than a try and with a five-metre scrum on the All Black line, he turned to me and asked, "so then, how's the world of politics?" Well, he was lucky I didn't have a gun for, at the very least, I would have hit him over the head with it there and then - and possibly a lot worse. Anyway, John won't ask such questions so that's OK.

The other important choice for today was the venue but I think I've played a blinder there. We're headed to The Sports Cafe in Leeds which has a capacity of 1000, contains four bars over three floors and has more TVs and big screens than a Curry's discount warehouse.

So, I've done all I can to guarantee a successful and memorable afternoon from my end. Now all I need is the Lions to do their bit and I can begin the countdown to next Saturday and the Third and deciding Test.

Now then, where did I put my Lions shirt..?

No comments:

Post a Comment