Monday 29 June 2009

A chance to witness history - missed

I try, where possible, to record little pieces of living history on this blog so Jamie can read all about them in years to come. Tonight, I figured, was bound to be one such occasion.

It was the fourth round of the men's singles at Wimbledon. Britain's Andy Murray was playing against some Swiss bloke whose name wasn't Roger and who wasn't therefore expected to put up much resistance. The match was on Centre Court in front of 15,000 cheering Brits. It was also going out live to the nation on BBC1.

But, most importantly, the new Centre Court roof was closed for the first time and the floodlights were on.

However, as it turned out, the even bigger piece of history I was waiting for didn't happen.

No, despite winning in five sets, old "Come On" Andy Murray, still couldn't bring himself to smile. Not even once. Seriously, what a sour faced ****.

I'm off to London first thing tomorrow for some meetings in my old stomping ground of the House of Commons. And then, in the evening, I'm due to attend a very special and almost certainly very moving event.

Come back on on Wednesday and I'll tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment