Sunday 6 February 2011

Smokey fish


Every state visit, by definition, must include a state dinner. 

So, last night, I attempted to make plaice, sauteed potatoes and vegetables for my mother. 

And I burnt everything. 

OK, so maybe I'm exaggerating ever-so-slightly; I didn't burn the water I cooked the vegetables in, but the vegetables were certainly over-cooked.

Meanwhile, I left the potatoes for too long whilst having a chat in the living room, leaving them brown on one side and white on the other by the time I returned . 

And I incinerated the lime zest/juice in olive oil and butter marinade-type arrangement.    

But there were two particularly unexpected casualties in the carnage.

First, whilst "warming" the plates, I inadvertently let one fall on to the naked flames in the oven for several minutes, effectively rendering the plate unusable.

And, get this.

I really don't know how this happened, but some way, somehow...I managed to knock the digital kitchen timer thingy land on to a fully lit ring on the cooker.  Again, it took me a while to notice. 

By the time I did, the timer had melted. 

I don't plan to do any cooking tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment