Tuesday 8 December 2009

All set for a Nutty night

We've just had our green bin emptied for the first time since August. Who needs Sting when we've got those hard-working Leeds refuse collectors to ensure we're doing our bit to save the planet?

On other matters, tonight marks the start of the Whites' Christmas Concert Triple-Header. (I made that up whilst brushing my teeth a few minutes ago. I hope you like it).

Next Monday, I'm off to see The Pogues with my friend John McIlroy (Vanessa's been excused this year and is very pleased about it). And the following Sunday, she and me are heading to Manchester for a shifty at the Pet Shop Boys - I've always wanted to see them.

But tonight its Madness at the O2 Academy in Leeds.

We've been fortunate enough to see Suggs and his fellow nutsters a couple of times before. The first occasion was six or seven years ago in the very grandiose setting of the Royal Albert Hall. But, sadly, it wasn't very good. It was a one-off gig for the Teenage Cancer Trust, the band clearly hadn't played together for ages, and it showed.

However, the second concert was a much more jolly affair. It was about three years ago and they played Dalby Forest in North Yorkshire one grey, rainy, August Friday night. And it was magnificent. It was one of those gigs where the band comes out, they're clearly in the mood and you just know it's going to be great - and it proved to be just that. Indeed, it was so good that I even did a bit of a pogo dancing. As a dyed-in-the-wool Ulsterman, I never, ever dance. But, for as brief few seconds, I lost my composure and gave it a go - before stopping for health and safety reasons. (With all those trees around, I could have easily started a fire).

Hopefully tonight will be just as dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment