Saturday 5 December 2009

Why I (still) hate ticket touts

My diatribe against ticket touts last month led someone to accuse me of only being annoyed because I'd missed out on the chance to see to Peter Kay. And, clearly, that did have something to do with it.

However, yesterday, after securing tickets to one of Peter Kay's Sheffield shows, I was approached and offered tickets to the very same gig - at inflated prices.

The individual concerned wasn't a fan of Peter Kay, had no intention of going themselves and had purchased tickets with the sole intention of stealing my or someone else's money.

Because that is what it is - thieving.

Ironically, I read a newspaper article this morning in which the boss of one of these so-called "secondary ticket" websites tried to defend his dirty, low down practices.

To quote him: "Are there people who still say we are a medium for touts? Of course there are."

Yes, I'm one of them and that's because it's true.

He continues: "It's about what consumers want or don't want."

No it's not - it's about you and people who sell tickets on your site stealing other people's money. You ****.

To illustrate, tickets for the Ashes cricket this summer, with a face value of between £60 and £90, were sold on this cowboy's site for between £129.99 and £324.99. Why should they be allowed to do that?

The England and Wales Cricket Board has long argued that such practices should be outlawed, and quite right too.

But the tout site I'm speaking of regularly advertises its "services" at Premier League football grounds around the country and even works in partnership with some of the clubs. So why do these clubs allow these parasites to steal money from their own loyal fans? I just don't get it.

According to the article (and don't worry, I'm almost finished), Labour Ministers are about to conclude a consultation on ways to combat ticket touts. But the piece adds: "The Government's conclusions are expected in the coming weeks but are unlikely to include proposals for any changes to the law."

Why the **** not?!!

I do hope the Tories, if they get in, take their responsibilities to protect British citizens from common theft a little more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment