Friday 18 December 2009

Time for tears as a legend signs off

Unless you live on another planet (and I appreciate many of you do), today was the day when Sir Terry Wogan broadcast his final breakfast show on Radio 2. And, I have to admit it, I'm still in bits.

Like so many millions of others, I've listened to Terry on and off for most of my life. And, since he confirmed his intention to give up his morning show a few months ago, I've been tuning in pretty much permanently.

But this week has been very hard for his loyal fans - goodness knows how it felt for him. Each passing morning obviously brought the inevitable sign-off ever closer. And, when it came at shortly before 9.30am today, it would have melted the heart of the devil.

As Terry himself said in his closing remarks, many of his listeners' children have had children of their own during his 37 years on the air. I, for one, began listening to Terry whilst my mother spoon fed me my Weetabix in the early 1970s. It was therefore particularly poignant for me to be feeding my own son his Weetabix as Terry was playing one of his final tracks. And it really brought home what a major deal it was that the great man was actually moving on.

It's hardly original to say it, but Sir Terry Wogan is truly a legend, will always be a legend and millions and millions of people like me will be eternally grateful to him for his part in brightening up our lives.

If you didn't get a chance this morning to hear him say goodbye, you should really have a listen by clicking onto the link below. And even if you did catch it, you may not have seen the pictures.

But I warn you, tears may well result.

No comments:

Post a Comment