Thursday 31 December 2009

Ending the year on a high

It is fitting that, on the day the 2009 New Year's Honours were announced, I tell you about a particularly special individual I had the great privilege of meeting on Monday afternoon.

Because if this man isn't suitably acknowledged by Her Majesty three years from now after what I believe will be gold at the 2012 London Olympics, then I'll eat something stiff and made out of fabric (I don't do hats).

I speak of Great Britain rowing star Alan Campbell who, a few months ago, won world championship silver in the single sculls.

I've written about Alan here several times before, most notably during last year's Beijing Olympics when he reached the final of his class despite suffering a serious infection which, after surgery, left him on crutches only weeks before the Games.

I went to the same school as Alan - Coleraine Inst - and have had the pleasure of meeting his delightful parents Jenny and William a handful of times before, both of whom are very friendly with and incredibly good to my vertically-challenged and eldest sister Jacquie (below centre).

And this boy is sheer class; not just in a boat, but also as a human being.

He's certainly one of the most determined sportsmen I've ever encountered - his achievement in beating the odds to line up in Beijing is obvious proof of that. However, equally important is the way he conducts himself.

Watching him do media interviews over the last number of years and also speaking to people who know him, I see and hear nothing but good. (And given the tales of what some other high profile sportsmen and women get up to these days, that is more than a little refreshing).

Jacquie knows what a huge fan I am of Alan and, when she heard he was back home in Coleraine for Christmas, she arranged for me to pop in to meet him at his family home.

It was a big surprise for me and I can't deny it wasn't a little embarrassing. He's more than eleven years younger than me, wouldn't have known me from, well, someone he didn't know and yet here was I sitting in his mum and dad's front room waiting to say hello. But, I mean, it was Christmas, the time of the year when most of us have strange people foist upon us when we'd probably rather be doing something else - so why not Alan too?!

And as expected, he was a total and complete star. I didn't say much, to be honest: I was too scared I'd get carried away and confirm my status as an idiot. So I just kind of smiled and nodded a lot. But he was very kind and friendly and, after Jenny and William shared lunch with Jacquie and me in their kitchen (it's not hard to work out why Alan has turned out the way he has), he even went outside to extract Jacquie's car from the frozen driveway (and, no, I don't think it was just because he wanted us to leave - don't be so cynical!)

I normally hate this fag end bit of the year when all that seems to lie ahead is January, the cold and Celebrity Big ****ing Brother. But I have to say, the short time I spent with Alan Campbell has seriously brightened my mood. He simply oozes positivity and brightness, and deserves every bit of success and recognition he gets.

Do please keep an eye out for him in 2010 and, indeed, right up to what will hopefully be his seven minutes of glory in the summer of 2012.

And, whatever you're doing, have a fun and safe night tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment