Wednesday 11 June 2008

The clouds roll in


One of the first things I did last October after discovering the date our baby was due was to dig out my 2008 Headingley cricket fixture list.

This might not have been everyone's knee-jerk reaction to such news. Don't get me wrong, I was hugely delighted at the prospect of becoming a father and my excitement has increased day-by-day ever since.

But, you see, I quite like cricket. And, since moving to Yorkshire almost five years ago, I've enjoyed going to Headingley to see Yorkshire and England strut their stuff.

This, of course, is when it hasn't been raining - which means I haven't seen much cricket at all.

As for this season, I had hoped to have attended about four Yorkshire games by now. But I've only seen one - the others have either been rained off or it's been too cold to leave the house.

Tomorrow evening the much-heralded Twenty20 season begins with the visit of Derbyshire and, on Friday, Nottinghamshire come to town. This guarantees, after several days of glorious weather, that rain must surely be in the air - and, according to the forecast, it is.

After Friday, three more Twenty20 matches are scheduled at Headingley with the last one taking place on 26 June - the day after our baby is due.

Meanwhile, on 18 July - just over three weeks after the baby should've arrived - England will entertain South Africa in the Second npower Test.

If you don't know much about cricket, Test matches last for five days.

Also, my dad and mate John are coming to stay with us for the duration - so that'll be six nights then.

Naturally Vanessa's delighted (ahem).

No comments:

Post a Comment