Tuesday 16 December 2008

Old Shep with tinsel


It's incredible how sensitive you can become when a little child comes into your life - especially as Christmas approaches.

And I'll give you an example, no matter how wet it makes me look (no change there then).

I was approaching my workplace in Bradford City Hall this morning with Terry Wogan blaring in my radio headphones (that's not even the wet bit).

Terry's normally quite affable in the morning - which is why I stick him on if I'm feeling upbeat - but today he did something which put a bit of a dampener on the rest of my day.

It was time for a Christmas song. But today, he chose not to play Wizzard's I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day - my personal favourite - or Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody or even A Winter's Tale by David Essex which he seems to stick on every quarter of an hour in December. Oh no.

What did Terry choose? The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot by Nat King Cole.

I clearly remember my mum singing this song to me many years ago - and me bursting into tears. But this morning, when it came on, I only had time to listen to the first half before I reached City Hall and had to turn my radio off.

The bit I heard went as follows:

He's the little boy that Santa Claus forgot
And goodness knows, he didn't want a lot.

He sent a note to Santa
For some soldiers and a drum,
It broke his little heart
When he found Santa hadn't come.

In the street he envies all those lucky boys,
Then wanders home to last year's broken toys.
I'm so sorry for that laddie,
He hasn't got a daddy,
The little boy that Santa Claus forgot.

Have you ever heard a sadder song? It's like Old Shep with tinsel.

Anyway, not remembering how the song ended, I spent all day thinking - there must be a twist, surely someone nice stepped in to save that little boy's Christmas. Probably Santa himself. No problem, all would be well.

However, arriving home tonight, I couldn't help but run up the stairs to turn on my computer, find the full lyrics and calm my fears. And do you know what? Nobody did help that little boy out, as the rest of the words confirm:

Spoken:

(You know, Christmas comes but once a year for every girl and boy,
The laughter and the joy they find in each brand new toy.
I'll tell you of a little boy that lives across the way...
This little fella's Christmas is just another day.
He's the little boy that Santa Claus forgot,
And goodness knows, he didn't want a lot).

In the street he envies all those lucky boys,
Then wanders home to last year's broken toys.
I'm so sorry for that laddie,
He hasn't got a daddy,
The little boy that Santa Claus forgot.

And that is that. I don't think I'll sleep tonight...again.

PS If you feel strong enough to listen to Nat King Cole sing the song, feel free to click onto this link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R99MsULZmLo

That poor little boy (who Santa Claus forgot).

No comments:

Post a Comment