Thursday 2 September 2010

A lesson in simplicity

I've long had a reputation for unnecessarily overcomplicating matters but today I've learnt a lesson, at least when it comes to dealing with Jamie.

To explain, first thing this morning he threw a bit of tantrum when he had to make do with Roary The Racing Car on TV rather than his current personal favourite Fireman Sam (and you thought you had problems).

"But Jamie," I uttered sympathetically, "Fireman Sam is working nights this week and is in bed."

"AARGGHH!!!!" shrieked Jamie.

"But he's a fireman, son," I continued. "They work shifts, sometimes during the day and sometimes at night. He just happens to be on nights this week. Unless there's particularly large fire in Pontypandy, of course, when they might need him and Elvis would then wake him up. Or Penny. But probably Elvis. Although he could be on nights too. So it could be Penny. Unless she's also on nights. I'm not really sure."

"AARGGHH!!!!" shrieked Jamie again.

"You'll see him later, though," I whimpered, "he starts work after you've finished nursery and you can spend a good hour with him before you go to bed."

"AARGGHH!!!!"

I shoehorned him into his coat, grabbed his bag, scooped him up and carried him the short distance down the road to nursery, wailing all the way (him not me).

Finally, I reached the Tweenies Room where I deposited him into the arms of one of the nice ladies, still crying (him again).

"Jamie?" she said softly. "Do you want to come and watch the toast pop up?"

Jamie immediately fell silent, paused for a second and announced: "YEAH!" before waddling off in the direction of the bread bin.

A lesson learnt, methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment