Tuesday 4 December 2012

(Not) like a Rhinestone Cowboy

 
Since going to watch The Muppets in the cinema earlier this year (shurrup), I've become increasingly interested in all things 70s.  But I do accept that quite a lot about that decade was still a bit naff.
 
For example, I flicked over to music channel Vintage TV on Friday evening to find the Rhinestone Cowboy himself, Glen Campbell, sitting astride a horse.
 
If anything or anyone was "cool" in the 1970s, Glen Campbell would surely have been near the top of the list.  I was impressed.
 
As I kept watching the Rhinestone Cowboy video, the camera pulled away to reveal more of the horse.
 
Glen still looked cool.  Oh yeah. 


But then the camera pulled back further still and, oh dear.


Glen's "thoroughbred stallion" was shockingly revealed to be little more than a pumped-up Shetland pony.  In fact, if Mr C had stretched his legs, I reckon he would have been able to stand up.

Not cool.  And as I continue my research, I fear I may ultimately have to accept that nothing whatsoever about the 1970s actually was.