Tuesday 8 July 2014

No more horse play

Not all readers may be aware of the biggest story in Ireland right now (just after a baker's refusal to produce a gay wedding cake featuring Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street).

I am, of course, talking about the cancellation of five Garth Brooks concerts which were due to held on consecutive nights at Croke Park in Dublin. 

As a result of a handful of residents objecting because they might not hear Coronation Street, an incredible 400,000 excited concert goers will now miss out seeing their big-hatred country music hero sing both of his hits. 

And whilst I kind of jest, I do feel genuinely sorry for those affected. I know many good people who had based their summers around the trip. They'll be out of pocket and broken-hearted and there's nothing funny about that.

So much so that I have been forced to ditch my own summer project. 

One Saturday morning in March when I was feeling a bit bored, I set up a Twitter account for Garth Brooks' horse.

The hype surrounding his master's trip to the Emerald Isle was reaching fever pitch and I figured there were jokes to be delivered as we got closer to the occasion. Unfortunately it's not to be. 

Therefore, out of respect to my Garth Brooks-adoring friends, the horse is going to get it later tonight.

It could've been beautiful.