Wednesday 9 July 2008

Where did THAT come from?!


I've just seen one of the strangest things I can remember. In fact, I'm still quite freaked by it.

Regular readers of this rubbish might have seen Saturday's piece in which I reported that Jamie's clothes peg had vanished.

That was a bit weird but I had to conclude it had just fallen off into one of his nappies and we hadn't noticed. Not really a huge deal.

The one fact we could say for sure was that it had definitely gone. I mean, his belly button was there for all to see (and, for the record, it looks like it might now be an innie after all).

Anyway, that was that - until a short while ago.

The little man had been unsettled for a couple of hours. Before that we'd bathed him, put on a new nappy, clean clothes, all was well. But then, maybe 15 minutes after he was sorted, he got restless.

So Vanessa fed him. He complained. Vanessa fed him again. He complained again. We gave him some extra winding. Vanessa fed him. He complained. We tried his dummy. He complained again. Vanessa fed him again.

I then took him upstairs to check his nappy. I opened it up, I pulled it from under him. And there it was, right there in his nappy - his clothes peg, with the stump of his umbilical cord still attached.

I couldn't believe it and quickly called Vanessa who, I think, was even more taken aback than me.

Her good friend Nicole reads this blog (bless you my sweet!) and saw what I posted on Saturday. Shortly after reading the story she texted Vanessa to say that her lovely little girl Tehya had lost her clothes peg as a baby and, as if by magic, it had turned up in her nappy a couple of days later. Nicole's feeling was that Tehya had eaten it before passing it through her system.

But this thing is not small. Indeed, it's actually quite long and it's also very hard. Plus, Jamie hasn't been able to find his mouth with anything much so far (and bear in mind this was four days ago) never mind pull something out of his nappy before shoving it in his gob. And I wouldn't even like to think about its journey to the other end. It really is incredibly bizarre.

As luck would have it, Nicole and Tehya plus daddy Ian are coming to visit Jamie for the first time on Sunday. I would imagine this incident might crop up in our conversation.

In the meantime, one can only wonder what might be lurking inside Jamie's nappy next time we come to change him.

The secret recipe for Coke? Big Foot? Osama bin Laden? Nothing would surprise me now.

1 comment: